Newcastle great midfielder facing ban from football for betting..
Connect with us

Newcastle United

Newcastle great midfielder facing ban from football for betting..

Published

on

Sandro Tonali admitted betting on AC Milan to win games at a hearing with the Italian Federation on Tuesday; The Newcastle midfielder was one of the players named in an Italian football betting survey last week

Keith Downie explains why Newcastle’s Sandro Tonali is facing a football ban for betting.

Newcastle have confirmed that Italian prosecutors and the Italian Football Confederation (FIGC) are investigating midfielder Sandro Tonali for breaching betting rules.

The 23-year-old Italy international sat out Tuesday night’s Euro Qualifying defeat to England at Wembley and his club released a statement saying it was cooperating with the investigation.
The Premier League club said:

“Newcastle United can confirm that Sandro Tonali is under investigation by Italian prosecutors and the Italian Football Confederation (FIGC) for illegal betting.

“Sandro is fully involved in the investigation and continues to cooperate with all relevant authorities.
– He and his family will continue to receive the full support of the club. “Due to this ongoing process, Sandro and Newcastle United are unable to comment further at this time.”

The Newcastle midfielder admitted on Tuesday that he had bet on Milan to win the Italian league matches in Turin.
Tonali was one of the players named in an investigation into Italian football betting last week and was dropped from the men’s squad for Tuesday’s defeat by England.

Steven Caulker on betting and Sandro Tonali. Former premiership defender Steven Caulker reflects on his struggles with betting and how it affects top-flight football.

Sky Sports News understands that at Tuesday’s court hearing he admitted betting on Milan to win both games he played and games he didn’t.
According to the FIFA Code 26, such behavior can lead to players being banned from global football for up to three years.

Tonali is likely to receive a lighter, but still lengthy, ban because he helped in the investigation – and admitted his guilt.
Juventus player Nicolo Fagioli has been banned for seven months for breaching betting rules.

Juventus midfielder Nicolo Fagioli has been banned for seven months by the Italian FA for betting offences.

Image: Juventus midfielder Nicolo Fagioli has been handed a seven-month ban by the Italian Football Association for breaching betting rules.

On Tuesday, Juventus midfielder Nicolo Fagioli, the first player named in the investigation, received a seven-month ban for betting on football. He announced himself while Tonali did not.
The FIGC said Fagioli was handed a five-month annual ban and fined €12,500 (£10,848), while he agreed to a minimum six-month treatment plan to deal with his gambling problem.

In a statement on its website, the governing body said the 22-year-old had breached a rule that “forbids betting on football events organized by FIGC, UEFA and FIFA”. Tonali, who signed for Newcastle from Milan for £55m in the summer, is expected to return to Newcastle on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Tonali’s agent admitted the player had a gambling problem and said he was facing the biggest challenge of his career.
Newcastle face Crystal Palace at home on Saturday.

Trending

Copyright © 2022. All Rights Reserved