Bournemouth with 10 men triumph over Wolverhampton Wanderer
Connect with us

Bournemouth AFC

Bournemouth with 10 men triumph over Wolverhampton Wanderers.



Bournemouth’s ten-man squad moved into the top half of the Premier League table with a 1-0 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers this evening.

Antoine Semenya scored the sole goal for the Cherries, who moved ahead of their hosts in the rankings with four games remaining in the season.

The game could have ended very differently, however, with VAR ruling out two Wolves goals, including Max Kilman’s last-minute level, due to an offside judgment.

Andoni Iraola’s team was also forced to play the final phases with 10 men when Milos Kerkez was handed his marching orders 11 minutes from time.

Bournemouth’s victory marked a return to winning ways after three games without a win following four victories in five.

Wolves, on the other hand, lost for the seventh time in a row as they fell further down the Premier League table.

Despite Wolves having the majority of the ball in the first half, the visitors were the superior side, limiting the hosts to only a few chances while taking 11 themselves.

Bournemouth’s first chance came six minutes in, when a corner was flicked on at the near post, but the ball looped high and rebounded off the crossbar.

Just a few minutes later, Wolves were almost caught off guard when Dominic Solanke was discovered in the box after Tommy Doyle was fouled, but the striker’s shot was blocked.

Wolves had at least one genuine chance in the first half, when Pablo Sarabia cut into his better left foot and curled towards the far corner, but Mark Travers was able to turn it around the post for his first stop of the night.

Jose Sa was called into action several times in the first half, but his best moment came in the 27th minute, when Justin Kluivert was bearing down on goal and attempted to slot into the far corner, but the keeper’s strong arm kept the score tied.

Bournemouth finally got what they deserved in the 37th minute, when Semenyo robbed the ball in midfield and fed it to the left, where Milos Kerkez was eventually found rushing into the box, with Kilman getting a touch on the full-back’s drilled cross, but it fell only as far as Semenyo, who smashed home to complete the move.

That goal heralded a shift in Gary O’Neil’s tactics, with Toti Gomes returning to a left-handed centre-back role and Rayan Ait Nouri becoming a left-wing defender as they switched to a five-man defence.

The visitors should have increased their lead just before the hour mark when the ball was thrashed inside the box and eventually fell to Marcos Senesi, who attempted to hit the bottom corner but pulled his shot wide.

Wolves thought they had drawn level in the 65th minute when Hwang Hee-chan connected with Nelson Semedo’s cross to score his first goal of 2024, but a two-minute VAR check revealed a foul by Matheus Cunha in the build-up, resulting in the goal being called off.

Bournemouth were reduced to ten men in the 80th minute when Kerkez was sent off for a two-footed tackle that struck Matt Doherty hard in the shin.

Following the dismissal, the hosts dominated but were unable to properly test Travers, resulting in no meaningful opportunities of quality creation.

That was until the 100th minute, when a corner was swung in and a poor clearance resulted in goalkeeper Sa crossing back into the middle, only to be cleared again by Bournemouth.

Boubacar Traore was able to push the ball into the middle once more and find Kilman, who hammered into the bottom corner, but the offside flag was raised immediately.

Another two-minute VAR check revealed Kilman to be offside, ruling the goal out and inflicting heartbreak for Wolves fans as the final whistle blew just minutes later, propelling the visitors past the hosts and into the top ten.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2022. All Rights Reserved