Barcelona stance on Frenkie de Jong queries Liverpool transfer Jurgen Klopp is no longer able to dodge | soccer4u
Connect with us

Liverpool

Barcelona stance on Frenkie de Jong queries Liverpool transfer Jurgen Klopp is no longer able to dodge

Published

on

Despite their own injury difficulties, Liverpool have not joined the conversation while Manchester United and Chelsea are reportedly interested in taking advantage of Barcelona’s financial struggles and signing Frenkie de Jong.

In Liverpool’s away Premier League opener at Fulham, Thiago Alcantara was forced to hobble off with only 51 minutes remaining. The Spaniard cut a disappointed figure on the field as he received treatment for what appeared to be a hamstring issue before succumbing to defeat as his afternoon came to an end.

Long before his £20 million transfer to Merseyside in the summer of 2020, the Spaniard’s career had been marred by similar failures. His injury history had been an issue for Bayern Munich, but when the Reds were given the chance to recruit a true world-class athlete for a bargain price, they couldn’t pass it up.

They couldn’t refuse the fee because it was so reasonable.

The midfielder has missed 44 games over the last two seasons due to injury or illness, which amounted to 193 days away from the pitch, per Transfermarkt. He missed 13 Premier League games in his second season at Anfield after missing 14 in his first. Throughout his career, he has never made more than 30 league appearances in a season.

Although the club is awaiting the findings of a second scan to completely assess the severity of the issue, it is known that Liverpool is preparing for the playmaker to be absent for a number of weeks.

Fans who have spent the summer pleading in vain with the Reds to strengthen their midfield options so that Jurgen Klopp’s squad is capable of challenging for Premier League and Champions League glory will not have been comforted by the sight of the dejected Spaniard limping off, and not for the first time.

As of right now, Liverpool’s position on a new midfielder hasn’t altered. As Klopp has frequently stated, his team has enough possibilities to contend this season, therefore such ambitions are put on hold until 2023.

They do, after all, have nine senior midfielders, including Fabio Ferreira, a summer acquisition. Fans are understandably worried, though, as Thiago is currently the eighth player on their constantly expanding injury list, which also includes Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Curtis Jones, and the sick Naby Keita.

However, in light of the aforementioned injury setbacks, the decision to wait until 2023 to bolster the midfield has only served to fuel rumors that Klopp wants to recruit Jude Bellingham from Borussia Dortmund. This anxiety was further heightened by the newly promoted Fulham team’s opening-day 2-2 tie with Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur, and Arsenal, after twice falling behind in a terrible display.

In the present, nothing has changed, Klopp told reporters at his pre-game press conference on Friday. “We have too many injuries, that’s true. “A lot of unlucky circumstances… A difficulty we have for four weeks cannot be solved by a transfer for a full year.

“That doesn’t make sense to us at the moment, at least. We’ll see, but the transfer window is still open. However, that is not how the strategy will work.

Dermot Gallagher announces his ruling about the Virgil van Dijk penalty against Liverpool.

At Liverpool, Jurgen Klopp is set to fully unleash a new destructive duo.

He said, “We actually have enough,” after witnessing Thiago hobble off against Fulham (midfielders). The issue is that we are currently being penalized for something that was not our fault. This sort of thing can occur.

“Nobody could have imagined Curtis receiving the treatment he does. It’s not a significant issue, but young boys’ bodies tend to react this way to stress. Naby is simply sick and will undoubtedly return the following week. Early on, Oxlade (injury) occurred, and now Thiago. That is not ideal.

We’ll find out. A transfer must be justified both now and down the road. Eight midfielders make up our team. Still enough midfielders are available. We don’t lack midfielders; rather, a few of them are injured.

As he “waits” for Liverpool, Matheus Nunes “rejects” a move to a Premier League club.

“I don’t like this situation at all; it’s not good. We must assess our response, but we must not freak out.

The severity of their current predicament, however, depends on how long Klopp will have to function without Thiago and Jones. No damage, no foul if both return before the end of the month.

And regardless of their injury predicament, Liverpool will not sign any stop-gap players until the transfer season shuts. Although it is currently unknown how long the Reds will be without the aforementioned midfield pair with Oxlade-Chamberlain out until October and players like Jordan Henderson, Naby Keita, and Fabinho all having a history of injury, it is also obvious that they are taking a chance that their injury list won’t get any longer.

Given that Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Milner are presently without contracts, and Henderson and Thiago will be turning 30 in 2023, they will undoubtedly need more than one midfielder.

Further setbacks may therefore compel the Reds to move their midfield transfer plans forward, especially if they are long-lasting. However, if they were to make a deal right now to bolster their backbone, it would be for a player who is already on Liverpool’s radar and who club executives believe would strengthen Klopp’s starting lineup.

Such a scenario really occurred in January when FC Porto signed Luis Diaz in a deal worth up to £49 million. He was on the verge of joining Tottenham, which derailed the Reds’ plans to sign him this summer.

Trending

Copyright © 2022. All Rights Reserved